How To Season A Donabe?
To extend the life of your Donabe we recommend seasoning it with the 'medome' process before use.
Use Rice Water as a seasoning (Before First Use)
- Rice should be rinsed as usual. Add rice (I use two rice cooker cups here) to a big bowl and gently knead the rice between your fingers under running water. The rice water should not be discarded during this seasoning process.
- Put enough rice water to fill the pot to the 80 percent mark. Rice water is the liquid left over after the rice has been rinsed.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let the water naturally cool down to room temperature.
- The water should be discarded as soon as you can feel it with your bare fingers, and the temperature is nearing room temperature.
- After drying it with a clean cloth, let it air dry entirely for at least one night before using or storing it again.