TOJIKI TONYA encompasses several ceramic makers based in the Tokai region of Japan. The collection of makers holds a focus on supporting local artisans who are carrying on generations of ceramic traditions.
The Iga Donabe is a deep ceramic pot made of textured clay and glaze. It is ideal for cooking various dishes such as, noodles, hot pots, stews, soups, etc.
Made in Japan.
Material: Heat-resistant clay.
Suitable for use on gas stove tops. Oven safe, microwave safe.
Approximately W31.5 x D26 x H17cm
*Due to the weight of this item unfortunately it isn't available for free shipping.
Care: Hand wash only, do not use in the dishwasher. Do not soak or cool the hot donabe too quickly. Dry thoroughly before storing away.
Note that the outermost layer may crack slightly during use. This is natural process that develops the donabes character as it ages over time and use, and should not hinder your enjoyment of the product. The very thin hairline cracks could appear on the surface (glaze) and exterior bottom of the donabe. They are known as “kannyu” in Japanese, and do not affect the use of the donabe. Kannyu is appreciated within the wabi-sabi aesthetic. The naturally developed cracks are a primary feature of hand made pottery vessels made naturally without using petalite.
To extend the life of your donabe we recommend seasoning it with the 'medome' process before use.
Use Rice Water as a seasoning (Before First Use)
- Rice should be rinsed as usual. Add rice (I use two rice cooker cups here) to a big bowl and gently knead the rice between your fingers under running water. The rice water should not be discarded during this seasoning process.
- Put enough rice water to fill the pot to the 80 percent mark. Rice water is the liquid left over after the rice has been rinsed.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Let the water naturally cool down to room temperature.
- The water should be discarded as soon as you can feel it with your bare fingers, and the temperature is nearing room temperature.
- After drying it with a clean cloth, let it air dry entirely for at least one night before using or storing it again.